Job openings will appear here and on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. You must register/log-in to submit a job posting. All posts require approval before being published.
If you are a passionate journalist who thrives in a fast-paced environment, we have a place for you at The Morning Sentinel in Centralia, IL. Please submit your resume, writing samples, and any relevant portfolio links for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bucking the national media trends, Better Newspapers continues to grow its reach across Illinois and Missouri. The Centralia Sentinel and Mt. Vernon Sentinel - as well as their associated weeklies - are part of a network of community newspapers and radio stations that play a significant role in their communities across Illinois and Missouri.
- Research, write, and report news stories for print and online
- Conduct interviews with sources to gather information and quotes
- Fact-check information and verify the accuracy of sources
- Write engaging and compelling headlines and leads
- Edit and proofread news articles for grammar, style, and clarity
- Collaborate with photographers and graphic designers to enhance news stories
- Stay up-to-date with current events and trends in order to pitch relevant story ideas
- Adhere to ethical standards and journalistic integrity in reporting
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field preferred
- Proven experience or great attitude as a journalist
- Strong writing skills with the ability to write clear, concise, and engaging news articles
- Knowledge of AP Stylebook guidelines for writing and editing
- Ability to fact check information and verify the accuracy of sources
- Strong communication skills to effectively interview sources and communicate with colleagues
We offer competitive compensation based on experience.